This delicious, traditional “medicine in a cup” soup recipe will give you all you need to stay protected and keep your body full of vigour this winter.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, each ingredient that we eat directly correlates to a specific part of the body or bodily function. This being said, every individual is different, and it is therefore important to listen to your body and select foods that are specific to your symptoms.
Ginger is one of those foods that cause a warming effect on the body. When we think about the summer months, we associate that time of year with fresh, cooling foods such as cucumber and tomato. When considering foods during the colder months of the year, we should be thinking of warming spices such as ginger, cinnamon and hearty soups.
The addition of garlic makes this recipe a sure cure and prevention for ailments such as the flu, common cold and various sinus infections that can affect the body more easily during the winter.
Below is a fantastic recipe which combines the healing properties of garlic and ginger, with the hearty, wholesome, warming qualities of a delicious winter meal.
- 4 Green onions – finely sliced
- 50g of finely sliced of grated root ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and finely diced
- 7 cups of chicken broth or stock (vegetable stock for vegetarians)
- 1 finely diced medium-hot chilli
- Optional mushrooms – chopped up or whole baby button
- Place the onions, garlic, mushrooms (if using) and ginger in a large saucepan and gently saute on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Gently simmer until all the ingredients are softened.
- Add the chopped chilli and simmer for a further 5 minutes before serving with warm, crusty bread and a glass of lemon water (to encourage digestion and add further anti-bacterial nutrients to your meal).