Let’s face it, the Standard American Diet is just plain SAD. With processed “quick and easy” foods, fast foods, and genetically modified foods, out bodies go through a lot in just one day.
And it’s not just about the horrible ingredients that go into everything; it’s also about what this food is doing to our body’s pH levels.
The human body is meant to be an alkaline organism, and if you’re putting too much junk food in, chances are you’re also eating too many acidic foods.
When we eat acidic foods, our blood pH can change from a normal alkaline level to a harmful acidic level. This will affect the immune system and make us more susceptible to disease.
Even if you are not worried about your blood pH levels (if you eat enough healthy foods in a day), these alkaline foods will help your body for many other reasons and can add to your overall wellbeing.
Top Five Alkaline Foods
1. Swiss Chard
Swiss chard is a great alkaline food and also has anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties, as well as the ability to rid the body of free radical.
Any kind of melon is great at cleansing the colon, and at a pH level of 8.5, they are super alkaline. Watermelon is especially good for you due to its high fiber and 92% water content.
Looking for a replacement to wheat? Buckwheat is a great place to start! It will kick start your day by improving energy and can even help prevent cardiovascular disease.
4. Olive Oil
This tasty oil is rich in vitamin E and monounsaturated fatty acids.
5. Flax Seed
Not only are they alkaline, but flax seeds are also high in fiber and vitamin E. They can reduce inflammation and hot flashes in menopausal women.
Other Alkaline Foods
– Avocado – Has healthy monounsaturated fats for a healthy heart.
–Bananas – When ripe, bananas can an excellent superfood!
– Berries – High in antioxidants.
– Carrots – Contain beta-carotene and will improve eyesight.
– Garlic – Has the power to regulate blood pressure.
– Broccoli – Steam it for cholesterol- lowering benefits.
– Grapes – High in multivitamins and antioxidants, grapes will lower blood pressure.
– Pineapple – Will help with weight loss.
-Alfalfa Sprouts – Easy to digest and rich in enzymes to keep your hormones balanced.
– Lemons– One of the most alkalizing food, lemons also aid in cold, cough and flu relief.
– Brussels Sprouts – May prevent cancer.
– Sauerkraut – Fermented foods add probiotics to your diet.
– Cauliflower – A healthy substitute for bread!
– Grapefruit – Good source of vitamin A and C.
– Seaweeds – Contain iron and are powerful acid reducers.
– Quinoa – Will maintain healthy blood sugars.
– Cucumber – Its 90% water content will keep your skin healthy and youthful.
– Parsley – Will clean the intestines.
– Mango – Great for cleansing the colon.
– Spinach – The ultimate, vitamin-packed vegetable.
– Oranges – Great for clearing a cold.
– Papaya – A natural laxative to keep your colon clean.